Drop us a Line

jrpar5@yahoo.com


If you want to subscribe to this blog, or get an update when there's a new post, here's the link:

Monday, December 23, 2013

Livin’ the Dream

Last October-December, Ace and I set up residence in the gym.  Gimme actually WANTED to play basketball with a few of her friends from school and church,  if, we were her coaches.  I was super excited (to say the least).  I had been waiting for this chance for 9 years.  I already had our first practice planned out (it came to me about 4 years ago. I’m kidding.), plus I had devised some awesome plays to run.

Because I didn’t actually play “organized” basketball until I was in the 7th grade, I thought we were really ahead of the game.  So at practice when I started throwing around terms like, “screen”, “key”, “rebound”, “pivot”, and “in-bound”, I was shocked at the blank stares I was getting.  Apparently,  not everyone grew up going to all of the basketball games of their 5 older siblings, or soaked in the daily basketball lingo.  NBA and NCAA basketball are not the ONLY things that appear on the TV screen in every home.  All this time, I thought everyone had brothers (*cough*Ryan*cough*Kimball) that imitated Marv Albert & Dick Vitale giving a play by play, while going one-on-one to the door frame that acted as their imaginary hoop. 

Needless to say, our 3rd-4th grade team never made it to the “running plays” portion of the season.  But, I have to say, it was so fun to see them get better and better at each practice and game.  The competitive side of me was overjoyed by the end of the season every time “jump ball” was called.  In the beginning, the other team could just take the ball out of our players hands.  But at the end, our girls were fighting for rebounds, and they weren’t afraid to get their hands on the ball!

Even though dragging our kids to the gym was sometimes difficult, I was disappointed when the 8 week season ended.  I am hoping for the chance to coach them again next fall.  I am pretty sure they’ll be ready for those plays. ;)

 

 

  4th grade hoopstars 004 4th grade hoopstars 005 4th grade hoopstars 009 4th grade hoopstars 007 4th grade hoopstars 008 4th grade hoopstars 024 4th grade hoopstars 010 4th grade hoopstars 011 4th grade hoopstars 014 4th grade hoopstars 016 4th grade hoopstars 021

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I wish you were one of our coaches. My kids need serious help, and I am not good at working with groups of kids, and apparently, neither are their coaches.