Drop us a Line

jrpar5@yahoo.com


If you want to subscribe to this blog, or get an update when there's a new post, here's the link:

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Big Day



On Sunday night, I was prepping Gimme for her first day of school. We had her outfit laid out on the floor, her backpack filled with school supplies. I was giving her this great lecture on how she could say a little prayer to Heavenly Father if she got nervous at school, or if she felt scared at school, etc. She just stared at me, and I yakked on and on about things until she fell asleep.

Yesterday was the big day. She woke up, put on her spankin' new outfit (new from shirt to shoes) and we took a couple of pictures and loaded up in the van.

We got to her school, she found her classroom, her chair by her name tag, and she set up shop. I knelt down next to her and told her that Mulligan and Birdie and I were going to leave and that she was going to stay. I was waiting for the alligator tears to start rolling from her eyes, and a plea for me to please stay!

Instead, I got a big, "See ya Mom! See ya Birdie! See ya Mulligan!" I hesitated a minute to see if she really understood the fact that I was REALLY going to walk out the door and leave her with a bunch of strangers.

"Go mom! Go!" She said.

So I did.

It didn't take long for the alligator tears to start streaming when I really did leave the school. Except the tears were rolling down my cheeks!

7 comments:

Devin and Brittney Wood Family said...

Man, that just made MY eyes well up! What a delivery, I didn't even see it comin! ;) I am so not looking forward to that next year! Cal is pretty shy but I think I will be the one struggling as well!!

Lindsey said...

Cute and touching story! She looks so darling in her new school clothes. Glad to hear that you both made it through the day. :)

Hales Family said...

You have such a great way of telling a story. I had huge alligator tears for my first too. My second did exactly what Gimmee did bye mom. I had a hard time yesterday sending KK to first grade so I know what you mean. Love you guys and Gimmee was adorable for her first day of school.

Noelle and Corey said...

Corey and I both had tears in our eyes by the end of your story (are you an English major or something?! Great writing!), and we decided Zach is NOT ever leaving the nest!

Clint, Mel & Kids said...

Aww. How sweet. For me it's the opposite, "Bye kids, see ya in 6 hours!" as they cry for me to stay!J/K Only one of them cries...poor kid

Northern Nickle Clan said...

Aw, Rachelle, that's so sweet. I know how you feel on that. That's a very touching post. I really don't like sending my kids off to school at all! Maybe I was meant to home-school. Jared would like me to. Boy, that totally sounds like my oldest. It's heart-wrenching sending them off to school. Good luck.:) I think the hardest part was when I put my oldest on the bus with the older kids when she was only a kindergartner. I now take her to school. I'm not fond of the buses.

Justin and Kristin said...

Yah, she seemed like a pretty independent girl to me. At least she looked forward to school! Did she like it?