Drop us a Line

jrpar5@yahoo.com


If you want to subscribe to this blog, or get an update when there's a new post, here's the link:

Friday, December 27, 2019

Dad.

Normal.

I've taken it for granted.

Normal has been growing up with my mom and dad and brothers and sisters in our home with a huge backyard and ginormous garden.

Gradually, the brothers and sisters moved away and got married.

Then I did.

It didn't seem so weird.  It was just natural--normal.

Then, normal got kind of weird.  Instead of my dad taking care of things in his usual meticulous way, his family was taking care of those things, and taking care of him.

Every morning for about 18 months, Ace and I were able to go help my dad get from his bed out to his recliner chair.  That became the new normal.  We looked forward to seeing my dad every morning and talking to him.  This new normal was bringing me closer to my dad.  I enjoyed this normal.

Unfortunately, everything has to change.  My dad didn't feel well.  His body was shutting down.  I was pushing away every thought or feeling that told me my next new normal was going to be a rough adjustment.  I have a difficult time dealing with emotional things as they are happening.  I live in denial for a minute before I face actual reality. 

Then it happened.  Ace and I went to get dad out of bed, but he wasn't awake.  I went to work with the thought in my mind that I would just stop by the house afterwards and help him up later. 

I finished work and rushed to my parents house.  Dad was still asleep.  He wouldn't wake up.  He took his last breath, and everything changed. 

We planned a funeral and prepared for a viewing.  Family gathered. 

Family returned home and we're now expected to function at this new normal.

Everything feels different.

It's just weird.

I'm so thankful for the legacy my dad left behind.  I am so thankful for his teachings and his testimony that I had to rely on many times in my life.  He taught me how to work hard. He taught me the importance of humility.  He set the example of working alongside a spouse to create a loving, spiritual home.  He made me laugh.  He instilled in me a love for the NY Yankees.  We spent a lot of time in the gym shooting hoops and on the golf course looking for my ball.  ;) 

So many lessons in a lifetime.

I miss the regular normal. It's not easy to go through change.  But, I know this is not the life we live for. This life is only preparation for Eternal Life with our families, which is made possible through our Savior Jesus Christ. 





















No comments: