Drop us a Line

jrpar5@yahoo.com


If you want to subscribe to this blog, or get an update when there's a new post, here's the link:

Friday, May 31, 2019

More Math. Sand+Water=Mud

It's become a thing for us to miss the last day of school.  I don't know if we started it on purpose or not, but we just don't go. 

This year, instead of going to school, we went to the sand dunes.  We go there at least once a summer, so we figured we'd start off there.  It was a beautiful day--thankfully the rain finally stopped. 


We built sand castles.  We sledded down the sand hill.  We jumped off the edge and climbed back up. So much fun. 










But like they say, all good things must come to an end.

I tried to pull out of the sand dunes by flipping a wide U turn.  I thought that if I gunned it, the risk of sinking in the mud was less than minimal.  

I thought wrong.

The second the van touched the huge puddle of water in the middle of the muddy parking area, it 
          S
             U
                 N
                     K.

We were half tire deep in the mud.  I tried reverse.  I tried drive.  I tried this snow tire feature thing.  Nothing worked.  The kids got out with their buckets and were filling them with sand and bringing them over to dump by the tires.  Didn't work.

Finally, I "Mom-ed"up and made Birdie go ask the man driving the tractor if he could pull us out.

After he filled his dump truck full of sand, he tractored over, got a chain, and laid on his belly, scooched far enough under the van to connect the chain (mud washes right out of clothes right?  Plus, I mean, those were his work clothes.  He wasn't planning keeping them dry and clean anyway, I'm sure. Sorry wife of guy!!), and then hopped into the tractor and pulled the van right out.   No biggie.




We got home and washed the van, inside and out.  (So much mud and sad everywhere!)

The good news is, we knocked sand dunes off the summer bucket list.


No comments: