Drop us a Line

jrpar5@yahoo.com


If you want to subscribe to this blog, or get an update when there's a new post, here's the link:

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Piano Playing

Our older kids started taking piano lessons years ago.  Because my mom is their teacher, quitting is not an option, even though they didn't practice much.  My mom claims that she loves the one on one time she gets with them.  I'm grateful she is as patient as she is, because my kids are learning music.  

There was a time or two I dappled in the piano playing business.  I took a piano class at college.  I never practiced (weird...I was wondering for a second where my kids picked up their bad habits...).  I always blamed my lack of motivation on the fact that I didn't have a real piano to practice on, unless I walked to campus--uphill both ways in a blustery snow storm, with no coat and only a thin pair of shoes--

My kids have used a similar excuse.  They don't like practicing on an electric keyboard.  It would be different if only they had a real piano to practice on.

Dreams come true.

We bought a piano.  The kids are actually loving it.  They really do open their piano books and practice a few times.  I've even found myself plunking out a few familiar tunes (don't get crazy.  I don't actually know how to play the piano, but open a simplified hymn book, or a simplified version of John Denver, and I can pick out a few notes to make it sound like a real song).  Ace has even sat down a few times to learn a thing or two about notes.  

The funny thing about this, is that it's a Kimball brand.  My kids all think it was named after my brother.  I'm letting them go with that.  We think about him much more often.  





No comments: