Drop us a Line

jrpar5@yahoo.com


If you want to subscribe to this blog, or get an update when there's a new post, here's the link:

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Plans

There have been lots of adjustments and new happenings going on over here at our house.  One of those big things is fully accepting the fact that I have a daughter in the 7th grade.  I don't know how to handle this fact because I don't know what to expect.

12 years ago, when I first found out that I was pregnant, I didn't have to panic about this phase of my life because my brother Kimball and his wife were also expecting a baby, and we were due within 6 weeks of each other. 

We fought about who had the rights to the name "Mulligan".  I had that name chosen when I was in about the 3rd grade, but he claimed he should name his baby Spencer because, duh..."Mulligan" Kimball... (for those unfamiliar with "Mulligan" Kimball, he was an LDS Prophet in the 80's).  I thought that was a terrible argument.  Luckily, both of us had girls.  

Kimball and I had big plans for our babies.

This brother of mine and I decided long ago that our girls would be the best of friends.  Kimball and Ace would get jobs at a golf course (eventually, they'd design and build their own...but for the time being, they'd start small, and just work at one...you know, to learn the ropes and such), we'd have houses close together so that our girls would always go to school with each other. They'd keep each other on track, and they'd help each other.  Junior high and high school would be a breeze because no matter what, they'd have a good friend.  

In that first year of our girl's lives, Kimball and I made sure they were close.  They played together at grandpa and grandma's.  And by play, I mean they laid next to each other.  They were blessed on the same day, and they spent lots of time meeting milestones together.  




Everything was going according to plan.

And then, Kimball passed away.

That was NOT part of our plan.  

Our girls were only a year old.  

Throughout the 11 years since he has been gone, his sweet wife has made the effort to help fulfill our plan.  Although we haven't lived close enough to each other for our girls to attend the same school, they have become the best of friends despite the distance.  






Don't mind the height difference.  Kimball hogged what was left of those genes, so I was left with nothing. ;)

There is still hope that these two will fulfill the final phase of the plan and team up with our other 2004 baby girl cousins, Kinley and Anna to room together at college.  

Of course I miss my brother every single day.  I wish he was here today so that I could give him a hug and tell him Happy Birthday.  

Thankfully, there is One who has a more realistic and perfect plan for each one of us.  I know that our Heavenly Father knows each of us, and knows exactly what we need.  When things don't go the way we desire, God blesses us and strengthens us as we accept His will.  I will be forever grateful for the perfect plan that allows us to be together forever as families.  Death is not the end.  This life is not what we live for.  There is so much more. 

No comments: