Drop us a Line

jrpar5@yahoo.com


If you want to subscribe to this blog, or get an update when there's a new post, here's the link:

Friday, August 21, 2015

The Golden State

I have nothing against California...well, except that you have to buy bags for your groceries, but other than that, I don't mind the trip.

Bogey had a few check ups and appointments we had to go to this week.  Ace took a few days off work and drove over there with us.  There are a few things I've learned over the years since Bogey has been the reason for our sudden love of all things Cardinal.   One of those things is that he is a tough, patient little boy.

He had to get a mouthful of cavities filled, a cardiac MRI, and another nasal endoscopy done.  He took it all like a champ.

When we got home, our older kids asked Bogey who his favorite doctor was that he saw.  He told them it was Lorenz, the one who ordered the nasal endoscopy--the absolute worst part of  all his appointments.  I thought for sure it would have been the cardiologist who only required a high five, but no.  Lorenz was the winner all three times it was asked.








We learned from the nasal endoscopy that the surgery Bogey just had a few months ago was not sufficient enough to correct his speech problem.  He is going to have a more invasive and complicated surgery on his palate, that will then probably need to be revised to correct the sleep apnea it can cause.  So that sounds fun, right? 

There's more.

We learned from the MRI that Bogey is going to need another (and hopefully the final) open heart surgery to replace the artificial valve he had put in during his first surgery.  This is a pretty routine surgery.  However, the fact that 1) We weren't expecting to have it for a few more months, and 2) It's open heart, I am on the verge of panic every second.  I'm trying to pretend everything is great and fine.  I'm trying to suppress the memories of his first surgery.  I don't need those images adding to this pit in my stomach.  It's a totally different surgery, and Bogey is bigger and stronger than he was 3 years ago (I hope everyone is enjoying this little pep talk I'm giving myself).  He's going to be fine.  He will be in the hands of the best...

In the meantime, summer is coming to an end, and I'm not ready for that.  I think that's adding to the monster in my stomach too.  I need more summer.  More sunshine.  More running.  More late nights.  More night games.  More neighborhood chatter.  More family time.  We have loved our "not bummer summer".

No comments: