Drop us a Line

jrpar5@yahoo.com


If you want to subscribe to this blog, or get an update when there's a new post, here's the link:

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Stanford = Menlo?

So, back at the beginning of the year, when we pledged our loyalty to Stanford (regardless of the mascot being a tree), I was meaning, that we would cheer for the basketball, football, volleyball, etc. teams.  We'd sport Cardinal t-shirts or whatever. 

Gimme on the other hand, had a different idea.  She's going FULL ON Stanford, CA.  She won't throw anything away, because she wants to "recycle".  Don't get me wrong, I'm all about being green. I kept my plastic grocery sacks from CA (mainly because I was charged for them, because I didn't bring my own), and I'm just waiting for the right occasion to re-use them... (OK fine.  I didn't really bring them home, but, I do use grocery sacks as trash can liners, AND I have paperless billing.  So I think that counts for something.)

Anyway, while Gimme is away at school, I have dig out all of her "recyclables' from her nightstand drawers so that I can get them to close all the way.  Sometimes I let her keep a box or something to put papers in for a few days, and then I start hyperventilating and loosing sleep at night, and that's when I start throwing stuff out.  I know.  I'm a horrible person.

Here is an example...these are all covers of old notebooks torn off.  She doesn't want to throw them away...because they can be so "useful"?


Today, though, she took things even a step further.  When I picked her up from school, she was holding a cup of water.  In that water, was a goldfish. When I asked her why she was bringing a goldfish home, she said, "Mom1  It needs a place to live!"  Great.  Not only does she care about the Earth (I hope you can hear the joking tone in my voice as you read this), she also cares about fish and animals (have I mentioned she has a million stuffed animals she calls "pets"?)  So, apparently, in some 'end of the year' auction they had at school, she bought a goldfish.  Her hard earned "cash" that she earned during class time, went to save a life of a goldfish--I hope it lasts through the night. (No!  I'm not going to kill it while she's asleep!  I don't know how to do that, without making it obvious.  ;) I just know the lifespan of a goldfish is not that long...)

I found it appropriate that of all the suggestions for names that we gave her, she chose 'MENLO'.  (There just happens to be a little town in CA--where you probably have to buy grocery sacks--named Menlo Park.)



I suppose I should be counting my blessings.  She could have brought a puppy home in a cardboard box.


No offense to my green, recycling, and/or animal loving friends & family...or anyone that lives in California. *wink, wink*

No comments: